Thursday, April 3, 2014

Zak's-Haks [003d]: The Phantom - final assembly

Zak's-Haks [003d]: The Phantom - final assembly...aka...the home stretch!

2/10. Green stuff some areas and decide to break from assembly and paint the head carapace :). Pretty happy with how it turned out. Might micron in the black lines later. Hour and a half. Then remembered I still needed to base coat the remainder of the pieces. So yea extra half an hour :)

 


 



2/11 I decide to airbrush a ton on my birthday. Didn't take a picture due to the air compressor quirking up at the end and needed to clean up. Nothing done on the phantom but lots of red going onto many tanks and flyers. Based and base coated the wraith knight.  Maybe 3 hours.

2/12 Hackmaster night of leveling up.  I mean, we do play other game too :)

2/13. More painting. Cockpit started and waist lower piece and some on the revenant head just for fun. 1.5 hours.




2/15. Finish the head and driver. Another 1.5 hours... So much detail on this model. It is awesome the amount of tlc that was put into sculpting this model :). Hands down to Will Hayes and Simon Egan.








Also spend a little time painting the vampires base.

Later in the night and into the morning... Oh my airbrushing for 4 hours ish. Not just the phantom but I will be dreaming of red tonight.






On a final note for the evening, I must have been painting without the aspirator for a while and blew my nose and out came quite a bit of red paint. gross...

2/16. My hands are sore in the morning from holding the air brush too long...sigh...start Ulthran and finish vampire's base painting.

2/17...take a break to finish painting Ulthran. Then more air brushing for another hour on phantom parts then more on other models. So much red...




2/18. Put the putty into the shoulder sockets. Thank goodness I got that old gf9 green stuff big pack as these joints took a lot to fill. Glued them together as well.  Almost an hour spent on this to fine tune the putty...





2/19. Only took about an hour and a half to get done black on the fins and missile launcher bays. Took longer than I thought. Def had to water down the paint to get some smooth coats on them. Then glued the upper shoulders to the fins.



2/20 another hour spent airbrushing misc parts. Highlighting with orange and went back to fire red for darker spots.   Pretty much tried to follow the basic 'red' scheme of the Vallejo model air paints used by Broncofish at this blog.  Awesome and amazing precedent for sure and by far my favorite of the ones I have seen.  Packed stuff for apoc game in new KR foam cases

2/21 Assemble it after painting a lot of areas black while playing a game of Infinity and hanging with Griff. Finish assembling it 7 hours before the big game! At 3am...Probably took a solid 3 hours of painting and assembling/gluing to the end.



My favorite view :)  Going for the aggressive stance.
 

Size comparison.
 
Few random shots from the game to show 'on the table' size for fun:
 



 

Lastly for today, the assembled crew on the home table for size comparison mainly between the two Phantom's:






3/28 Continue painting the ends of the guns black to finish off the first coat of paint over the complete model.  30 min. It was a bummer I didn't do these before the game as it was late and I somehow missed them...Oh well.  I'll probably post another video report of the maneuverability of this thing at some point soon as well.  Until then, check these out if you are into Phantom Titans.  I mean, who isn't?

Here are some other blogs and links that I viewed for reference regarding phantom titan assembly and painting, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYupDdwS8jc

Warseer:  There are a few more on this site but I looked at these two below the most.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?308116-HwG-Phantom-Titan-Blog
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?306638-Ghost-of-War-Phantom-Titan-BLOG

Interesting one I found after mine was done...sweet base:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?376954-Eldar-Phantom-Titan-diorama


So yeah, long story short, this has been the most enjoyable model I have had the chance to build up to this point in my long hobby career.  Still have quite a bit of painting to do but that will probably drag on for quite a while I'm afraid.  Stay tuned as at some point, this will be completed.  It's now sitting right next to my desk looking at me...begging to be completed...

Thanks for watching/reading!

Total time elapsed - 51:20.
 
-ZS

No comments:

Post a Comment